How to perform the exercise
- Begin standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and a barbell across your upper back.
- Step forward with one leg, flexing the knees to drop your hips. Descend until your rear knee nearly touches the ground. Your posture should remain upright, and your front knee should stay above the front foot.
- Drive through the heel of your lead foot and extend both knees to raise yourself back up.
- Step forward with your rear foot, repeating the lunge on the opposite leg.
- To ensure proper posture, be certain not to lean forward at your hips.
- To avoid injury, do not allow your front knee to drive past your toes.
Dumbell/EZ Bar Variation
This exercise can be performed by substituting the barbell for either an EZ bar or dumbells.
Body Weight Variation
If you are new to this exercise, it is recommended that you do this with your bodyweight.