How to perform the exercise
- Sitting on a calf raise machine, position your upper thighs under the top pad. The pad should be resting just above your knees.
- Place the balls of your feet on the foot plate.
- Keeping the balls of your feet in position, lower your heels as far as possible.
- Slowly raise your heels as if standing on your toes. Continue as far as possible until you feel a stretch in your lower calves. Hold for a count of one.
- Slowly lower your heels back to the starting position and repeat.
Note: If the machine isn’t equipped with foot plates, you can use barbell plates placed under the machine to increase your range of motion. Don’t “bounce” the weight up using momentum.
- Perform this exercise with as short rest periods as you can.