How to perform the exercise
- Place your feet shoulder width apart and using an overhand grip at a little more than shoulder width, hold a barbell in front of you.
- Your arms should be fully extended towards the floor, palms facing in towards your thighs. This is the start position.
- Exhale and raise or shrug your shoulders up in a slow controlled movement. Do not use your biceps to assist in lifting the barbell.
- Continue as high as possible then hold for a count of one.
- Return to the start position in a smooth movement, inhaling as you do so.
- Pause then repeat.
- You can rotate your shoulders when performing this exercise. However this is not recommended for people with shoulder problems.